TRAVEL WITH CONFIDENCE
Travel Clinics of America is your best choice for receiving high-quality pre-travel care, sound travel advice, and peace of mind.
Travelers from the U.S., often viewed as wealthy and vulnerable, are frequent targets of crime abroad. Keep these tips in mind while traveling in a foreign country:
- Be observant and stay aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid traveling alone.
- Always jog with a partner.
- Be cautious in large crowds where pickpocket teams operate.
- Limit traveling at night.
- Don’t bring valuable or costume jewelry.
- The latest smartphones, tablets, and computers may attract unwanted attention.
- Avoid carrying a purse. Put a rubber band around your wallet to make it more difficult to pickpocket. Consider a waist money belt.
- Use reputable currency exchanges offices. Don’t count your money away from the teller window.
- Do not show large denomination paper money when making purchases.
- Be familiar with currency exchange rates to ensure you are given proper change from taxis, restaurants, and hotels.
- Make copies of your passport, credit card numbers and other important documents. Keep a copy available on your trip and a second copy back at home.
- Use the hotel safe.
- Avoid accommodations on the ground floor.
- Park your car or bicycle in well-lit public places.
- Have your key in hand when approaching your parked vehicle.
- Set your cell phone to speed dial the local ‘911’ phone number.
- Be cautious when accepting invitations from ‘friendly’ locals to parties, social events, or for car rides.